Baking soda and vinegar are probably best known as the primary ingredients in every kid’s favorite science project - the erupting volcano. On their own they also serve a wide variety of uses around the home, in baking, salads or just that box you keep in the fridge to keep things tasting fresh. But vinegar and baking soda can use some of that mighty, “volcanic” force to clean some of the most troublesome parts of your home. Read on for a variety of simple “recipes” to set your mind at ease.
1. Shine your sink (and clean your drain) with a 1-to-2 baking soda and vinegar mix.
2. Use a wet towel soaked in vinegar to loosen hard water stains and baking soda to scrub them away.
3. Make a paste of baking soda and a small amount of vinegar and apply to a carpet stain. Let it dry overnight and vacuum the stain away.
4. One-half cup of baking soda in the wash and a cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle will solve mildewy clothes.
5. A paste of baking soda and water sprayed lightly with vinegar will let you scour out tough grout stains.
6. Safely clean nonstick pans by using baking soda as a gentle abrasive. Spray on a little vinegar to boost the cleaning power. This even works on cast iron.
Credit: Bob Vila