Advertisement

Household Blinds Are More Dangerous Than You Think

When it comes to babies, you can never be too safe. Baby-proofing the house has become very common, as it gives parents the peace of mind that their infant will not sustain any unnecessary injuries - or worse. Because toddlers are too young to understand danger, it is incredibly important to anticipate potential hazards around the house before an accident happens.

Every toddler death shatters the community, not just the immediate family. From these incidents, we add to our ever-growing list of items that we must be wary of. After a horrifying tragedy with their youngest child, one family is educating the public about the dangers of a common household item that they never thought could be so deadly.

Little Bronwyn Taylor was just 16 months old. She was the youngest of her siblings, with three older brothers in her loving family.

Cavendish Press

One night, her parents went to the theater with two of her brothers. Their grandmother stayed at home to watch over her and her other brother, Boden.

Cathy Taylor

Bronwyn's grandmother only took her eyes off the infant for a few minutes, but that's all it took for tragedy to strike. She was playing by herself when she somehow got caught in one of the blinds and cords by the window.

Cavendish Press

Unfortunately, the toddler was unable to free herself from the tangled mess.

SWNS Media Group

And just like that - within a few minutes of being alone - every parent's worst nightmare happened. All because of something that no one anticipated to be a hazard.

SWNS Media Group

Advertisement

When Bronwyn's grandmother checked on her, the young child was already in cardiac arrest. She was immediately rushed to the emergency room, but they couldn't save her.

SWNS Media Group

Bronwyn's family was left in shock and devastation. No one could have predicted such a deadly outcome from such a common household item.

SWNS Media Group

The tragic incident has led Bronwyn's parents to spread awareness and educate the public about this seemingly harmless item. No one should have to go through what they did.

SWNS Media Group

"This accident shouldn't have happened and the blinds shouldn't have been there," the infant's mother, Cathy, said. "Everybody with small children needs to check and make sure they have safety blinds."

SWNS Media Group

She also added that this was an unforeseen tragedy and that it was no one's fault. "Bronwyn's grandparents absolutely adored her," she emphasized. "She was only left alone for a few seconds. It's just absolutely tragic."

Cavendish Press

These types of blinds are quite common in homes, and the number of deaths associated with them is relatively low. According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), 28 children have died since 1999 from blind-related accidents in the UK.

SWNS Media Group

Advertisement

Sadly, the family still doesn't know exactly what had transpired during the incident. "We don't know exactly what happened," Bronwyn's father said. "But somehow she got the blinds, which were on a shelf above the floor, wrapped around her neck. Either the blind cord came down, or Bronwyn reached up and knocked it down. We just don't know."

SWNS Media Group

Simply by making other families aware of the potential dangers of this household item, tragedies like this one can be prevented in the future.

SWNS Media Group

As you can see below, it is easy for a child to get a part of his or her body - including the head - stuck in one of these. Because they are still young, toddlers may struggle with the cords, which could cause the cord to form even more knots and tangles. By this point, it would be near impossible for a child to free his- or herself from the mess.

SWNS Media Group

When it comes to the safety of your children, you can never be too cautious. Sadly, Bronwyn's family has been left with a permanent void. "Our whole world has been blown apart. Parents should never have to bury their child. My mum and dad have been blaming themselves but we don't blame them. It was a freak accident."

SWNS Media Group

Be sure to SHARE this important warning with your friends and family!

H/T: LifeBuzz

Trending Today: