Advertisement

Mom Learns The Dangers Of Scented Candles The Hard Way

Whenever I'm out shopping with my girlfriend, we always go straight to the scented candle section of the department store. It's not unusual for us to spend hours smelling all the delicious, and sometimes bizarre scents. When we decide to buy one, we bring it home and immediately put it to use. Millions of people just like us buy scented candles and use them every day, but how many know the dangers lurking within the seemingly innocent product? 

One young mother recently found this out in a frightening way. Meghan Budden noticed some peculiar black specks in her nostrils, when she checked on her young baby, she noticed the same specks in the young child's nose. Even after swabbing his nose and washing everything out, the troublesome spots wouldn't go away. Meghan had no idea what the cause of this was, until she looked at the candle that had been burning throughout the night. On the bottom of the candle was an instruction to not burn for more than 3 hours - Meghan had been using the candle for upwards of 6 hours. 

After a visit with a doctor, it was confirmed that dangerous particles caused by overuse from the candle were the source of the issue. Luckily, Meghan and her baby didn't experience any lasting effects, but the danger they faced is one that many people experience without even realizing it. She pleads for everyone to read the warnings on any candle they buy so they don't expose themselves to dangerous substances. 

H/T: CBS New York

Advertisement
Advertisement
Trending Today: