Marshmallows have always been one of my all-time favorite foods. I still remember the first time someone introduced me to them - it was such a unique texture, and I absolutely loved it. I became a little obsessed and in college, I was even known to toast marshmallows in my room using toothpicks and a lighter (I wouldn't recommend anyone else try this).
Health Issues Caused By Excess Sugar
Excess sugar consumption leads to more calories consumed overall, which leads to weight gain and obesity. Furthermore, foods high in sugar (such as marshmallows) are often devoid of any actual nutritional value. The more you fill up on empty, sugary calories, the less room you have for actual fruits and veggies.
Additionally, consuming excess sugar has also been linked with the following:
- Heart Disease
- Various Cancers
- Dental Issues (Cavities)
- Elevated Cholesterol Levels
- Insulin Resistance and Diabetes
- Food Addiction
Healthy Marshmallow Recipe
- Gelatin - 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Cold Water - 1/2 cup
- Honey - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/8 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract - 1/2 teaspoon
- Lightly grease a loaf pan and then cover with parchment paper (enough to hang over the sides of the pan. Grease the parchment paper as well after it's placed.
- Put 1/4 cup of water in a medium bowl and sprinkle the gelatin onto it. Set aside while gelatin softens.
- Put honey, salt and the remaining 1/4 cup of water in a small pot. Using medium heat and a candy thermometer, heat the mixture to 240 degrees. This should take about 7-8 minutes, and another way to test if your mix has reached the right temperature is to drop a bit into a bowl of ice water. If it forms soft balls when cooled and taken out, your candy is ready.
- Using a hand mixer on a low setting, carefully mix the hot syrup with the gelatin, letting the hot syrup drizzle down the side of the bowl. Once combined, add vanilla and increase speed to high until the mixture is thick and resembles marshmallow fluff. Scrape into the pre-lined pan and let sit uncovered for 4-12 hours to set. Cut into squares, and serve.
Coconut version: Toast 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes and sprinkle half into the bottom of your pan before pouring in the marshmallow mix. Top with the other half after.
Chocolate version: Roll finished, cut marshmallows in cocoa powder.
Don't forget to SHARE this delicious recipe with your friends and family.