Advertisement

Sippy Cups Are A Potential Breeding Ground For Mold

It's every parent's worst nightmare to see their young child get sick. Getting sick is an inevitability of childhood, and it is a fundamental part of growing up and developing a healthy immune system. However, when a child is constantly getting sick for no apparent reason, it's only natural for red flags to be raised. After all, what might seem like your run-of-the-mill cold or flu might actually be something much worse.

Penny Powell recently shared a series of photos on Facebook that may shock many of you parents out there. In the post, she describes how her friend was distraught because her son was always getting sick. After some investigation, the boy's father, Simon, had a hunch that something was wrong with the sippy cups his son was using.


Penny Powell/Facebook

The sippy cup in question featured a sealed, leak-proof spout. Its purpose was to help prevent messes when carrying the cups on the go, but Simon noticed that there was a strange odor coming from it.


Penny Powell/Facebook

With his trusty knife in hand, Simon cracked open the seal on one of the sippy cups and discovered this:


Penny Powell/Facebook

Disgusted with his finding, Simon immediately realized that his son had been drinking from a mold-filled sippy cup the entire time. Penny then shared the pictures on Facebook and included photos she found of other parents that have made the same discovery.


Penny Powell/Facebook

Advertisement

After receiving a few replies and hearing about other parents' experiences, it became apparent that the one thing they all had in common was that they were all using the Tommee Tippee branded sippy cups.


Penny Powell/Facebook

The company that makes these cups, Tommee Tippee France, has tried to address some of the complaints on Facebook, but the attempt has only resulted in more parents sharing their horror stories of their children consuming mold.


Penny Powell/Facebook

Tommee Tippee France has since responded by offering this statement to BuzzFeed: "The results support that when used with recommended liquids (cold, light fluids including water and non-pulp juices) and cleaned in line with instructions, there are no problems. Difficulties have arisen though when liquids that are not recommended for use in the cups have been used, like thick formula milk, pulpy juice, and warm liquids. We also recommend that cups are not left for long periods before being cleaned."


Penny Powell/Facebook

Though this is sound advice, parents should never assume that following these protocols will prevent mold from growing in the children's drinking cups.


Grasping for Objectivity in my Subjective Life

On cups styled with a translucent top, it is easy to see that something is there inside the lid. It may seem like dirt but these little dots are the start of a potentially dangerous mold colony.


Grasping for Objectivity in my Subjective Life

Advertisement

Don't assume that Tommee Tippee sippy cups are the only ones that are prone to developing this issue. This design is common to several other brands, and different types of drinking mechanisms can also fall prey to fostering the growth of mold.


GlobalPost

As you can easily see below, even drinking cups that feature straws aren't free from this issue. Be sure to check every nook and cranny for dots that could be beginnings of a mold colony.

Exposure to the mold from sippy cups can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, and skin irritation. It is highly recommended that children's drinking cups be thoroughly cleaned after every use and that they be inspected regularly for mold growth and contaminants.


Mould Facts

Don't forget to SHARE this shocking information with your family and friends.

H/T: Distractify

Trending Today: