When you were in school, you probably got scolded for doodling. Teachers took it as a sign of not paying attention or letting your mind wander. However, new neuroscience studies show that doodling can actually help people stay more focused and retain information.
In this defense of the doodle, let's take a break to appreciate these 25 artists who have taken the art of a simple ballpoint pen sketch to a whole new level.
1. This artist is the one who knocks.
2. Heroes in a half-shell, Turtle power.
3. Portrait of the artist concentrating.
4. Red-headed girl.
5. This pen sketch came in like a wrecking ball...
6. Whoooooo else were you expecting?
7. Really got a grip on this notebook.
8. Onward, Squidward.
9. Is that the artist's muse on the board behind this drawing?
10. "Come play with us, Danny..."
11. "I find your interest interesting."
12. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."
13. Ahoy, matey.
14. With great sketching comes great responsibility.
15. The entire Vampire Weekend cover on a Starbucks napkin.
16. Look at the attention to detail in that water.
17. This sketch of Martin Scorsese proving, "there's no such thing as simple. Simple is hard."
18. This sweet cuddling couple.
19. Absolutely the truth.
20. Here, kitty, kitty.
21. Red, white and blue woman.
22. Portrait of the artist as a teenage girl.
23. This is Davy Havok from "Afi".
24. Got the eye of the tiger...
25. This cheetah prospers.
Credit: eBaum's World