Whether we like to admit it or not, we all tend to put people into boxes. It's something that most of us try not to do (hey, everyone can have a surprise or two up their sleeves), but it does happen. When we think of people on the young or old sides of the age spectrum, we tend to assume that there isn't much that they do. "Young people are too young to do anything really great just yet, and the elderly have become too tired," we think. Well, we're wrong.
Below, you'll find a list of people, old and young, who do some pretty surprising things. There are elderly runners, bodybuilders and skateboarders, as well as young inventors and pioneers of their fields. Each and every one of them deserves a round of applause for breaking out of the box.
1. This little girl is named Alexis Martin. At just 2 years old, she is the youngest member of Mensa, with an IQ that places her in the top 2% of the entire world.
2. At 73 years old, Ruth Frith took up the sports of shot put and javelin. Since then, she has set six records.
Heather Faulkner/Stringer Collection/AFP/Getty Images
3. This is Yasmina Rossi, a 59-year-old fashion model.
4. Moziah Bridges had a passion for making his own bow ties from his grandmother's excess fabric. He then decided to open a bow tie company, at the young age of 9.
5. Johanna Quass is a woman from Germany who has been competing in gymnastics since the age of 86.
6. Lloyd Kahn decided to take up the sport of skateboarding at the age of 65. He is now 78.
7. Wang Deshun is a 79-year-old model. You might think that hinders his ability to get work, but he totally rocked it at Shanghai Fashion Week.
8. Fifteen-year-old Tom Wagg is your typical teenager... who also happened to discover a new planet. No big deal, right?
9. You might recall the 96-year-old dancer who blew everyone away on America's Got Talent. Her name is Tao Porchon-Lynch, and she's great.
10. This is the youngest person to ever receive a master's degree from the University of Virginia. His name is Gregory R. Smith, and he got his diploma at the age of 16. It's probably safe to assume that a PhD is next..?
11. Fauja Singh is British-Indian marathon runner who retired at the age of 101. And some of us have a hard time taking one lap around a track.
12. This is the world's oldest female bodybuilder: 79-year-old Ernestine Shepherd. It's okay to be a little intimidated.
13. Thomas Suarez became the world's youngest app developer at the age of 12. There are big things in this kid's future.
14. Dorothy De Low is 99 years old... and an Australian ping-pong champion. Just look at that focus.
Craig Golding/World Masters Games/Handout/Reuters
15. One of Hollywood's most popular stuntwomen is 70 years old. Her name is Jeannie Epper.
M. Phillips/WireImage/Getty Images
16. This man, Octavio Orduno, has been riding his bike around the streets of Long Beach, California for 80 years. He was 103 when this picture was taken.
17. This man climbed the world's tallest mountain, Mount Everest, at the age of 80. His name is Yuichiro Miura.
18. Matt Guthmiller became the youngest pilot to fly around the world at just 19 years old.
19. The world's oldest working high-fashion model is 84 years old. Her name is Carmen Dell'Orefice. Just look at her fantastic cheekbones.
20. Alia Sabur became a college professor at the age of 18, which made her the youngest professor ever. It would be pretty daunting to take one of her classes.
Marc Bryan-Brown/Getty Images
21. Doris Long is the world's oldest rappeler (someone who uses a rope to vertically descend high cliffs or structures) at 101 years old. Here she is in action.
22. Meb Keflezighi, at 38 years old, is the oldest winner of the Boston Marathon. The previous record for such a feat was set in 1931.
Jim Rogash/Getty Images
23. Jose Julio Puig is Cuba's oldest Harley-Davidson owner. He is 101 years old, and he still rides.
Enrique De La Osa/Reuters
24. Artin Elmayan is the oldest ranked tennis player in the world. He is 95 years old.
25. This woman decided to get into the DJ business at the age of 68. Her name is Ruth Flowers, and one day she might just be rocking a club near you.
So, what do you think of these people? Pretty great, right? They all prove that age is only what you make of it, and they've all chosen to make the most of their respective ages.