If someone were to give you a map of the United States, you're pretty confident you could correctly label most of the states. You think it's absolutely insane that only 11% of Americans in a sample survey knew all of the words to the Star Spangled Banner. And you're right. But here are 21 strange but true facts about America that even most Americans don't realize.
1. One out of every eight Americans has been employed by McDonald's at some point in his or her lifetime.
2. Apple has more money than the U.S. Treasury, by about $111 billion.
3. Cows outnumber people in Montana by a ratio of three to one.
4. One American consumes the same amount of resources as 32 Kenyans.
5. Anthony Johnson, America's first slave owner, was a black man.
6. We treat college athletes like celebrities, but, really, they are just students taking part in an extracurricular activity.
7. Although English has historically been the most common, America has no official language.
8. One in every three Americans is obese.
9. Approximately 25% of Americans believe in reincarnation.
10. There's no law to keep kids under the age of 18 from smoking cigarettes. The age restriction laws only apply to purchasing them.
11. The 6th leading cause of death in the U.S.? Medical errors.
12. Virginia takes the lead in being the birthplace of more American presidents than any other state.
13. 27% of Americans think the moon landing was fake.
14. Do you have $10 in the bank and no debt? Then you are wealthier than a quarter of all Americans.
15. 100 delicious acres of pizza are served every day in the United States.
16. 4.4 years of the average American's life are spent at his or her job.
17. The Library of Congress is archiving all of Twitter. Every tweet ever tweeted is saved.
18. To really get its point across during the Prohibition of 1926, the government was poisoning beer. This led to 10,000 deaths.
19. 40% of all American births are from unmarried women.
20. America consumes 22 million chickens every day.
21. America is one of the only countries to display its own flag in almost all public areas.
Did you have any idea? Also, where is this magical place where I can buy pizza by the acre?
Credit: Viral Nova