Modern life has led to a lot of great advances like cars, the internet, and so much more. Unfortunately, we've also found all kinds of ways to make ourselves sick. Cancer is a serious problem in much of the world, and many people believe that it is a result of the increased dependence we have on products (and foods) that are packed with synthetic chemicals and preservatives.
Sadly, in too many cases, consumers are simply not aware of how dangerous the products they surround themselves with can truly be. Below is a list of 12 common household items that are a serious danger.
1. Ajax Cleanser (Colgate-Palmolive)
Ajax (a.k.a. Francis, if you watched Deadpool) is a popular cleaning brand that contains crystalline silica, an ingredient known to cause eye, lung, and skin irritation along with cancer. It was confirmed carcinogenic by the Material Safety and Data Sheet (MSDS) in 1994.
2. Whole Milk (Borden or Lucerne)
Whole milk contains a host of toxins, such as:
- Antibiotics - some of which are carcinogenic and/or lead to allergic reactions or bacterial resistance
- Hexachlorobenzene - a known carcinogen and neurotoxin
- Heptachlor - a carcinogen which imitates the effects of estrogen
- DDT - a notorious carcinogen
- Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone and IGF-1 - these substances have been known to lead to colon and prostate cancer
- Dieldrin - a carcinogen which mimics estrogen
3. Alberto VO5 Conditioner Essence of Neutral Henna (Unilever)
This popular conditioner includes:
- FD&C Red #4 - known to cause cancer
- Fragrance - various unknown ingredients which have caused dermatitis in some users
- Formaldehyde - A carcinogen and neurotoxin
- Polysorbate 80 - Known to lead to cancer
4. Zodiac Cat & Dog Flea Collar (Sandoz Agro)
One of the labeled ingredients is Propoxur, a carcinogen and neurotoxin.
5. Talcum Powder (Johnson & Johnson)
The talc can potentially lead to ovarian cancer.
6. Crest Tartar Control Toothpaste (Procter & Gamble)
Contains FD&C Blue #1, fluoride, and saccharin, all of which are carcinogenic.
7. Cover Girl Replenishing Natural Finish Makeup Foundation (Procter & Gamble)
This foundation might make you look good now, but its ingredients only spell trouble over time.
- Parabens - causes dermatitis
- Fragrance - numerous unlabeled, untested ingredients, can cause dermatitis
- Triethanolamine - when mixed with nitrites, this substance can create carcinogenic byproducts
- Lanolin - often tainted by DDT and other carcinogenic pesticides
- Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) - can be carcinogenic
- Talc - carcinogen, as previously mentioned
8. Beef Frankfurters (Oscar Mayer)
These beef frankfurters contain a lot more than just beef. Along with all of the issues previously discussed in milk, these sausages also have:
- Lindane - a carcinogen which destroys blood cells and is neurotoxic
- Dachtal - a carcinogen and irritant.
- Nitrite - creates carcinogenic nitrosamines when combined with amined in meat, eventually leading to cancer in children
9. Lysol Disinfectant Spray (Reckitt Beckniser)
Contains ortho-phenylphenol (OPP), an irritant and carcginogen.
10. Ortho Weed-B-Lawn Weed Killer (Monsanto)
One of the ingredients, sodium 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetate (2,4 D), is a neurotoxin and carcinogen. It also damages the reproductive system, causes lymphoma, soft-tissue sarcoma, and more.
11. Clairol Nice 'n' Easy Permanent Hair Color (Clairol)
Nice 'n' Easy? More like Nice 'n' Cancerous, since it contains the following:
- Phenylenediamine - causes dermatitis and is a carcinogen
- Propylene Glycol - causes dermatitis
- Quartenium-15 - a carcinogenic neurotoxin which releases formaldehyde
- Diethanolamine (DEA) - produces carcinogenic nitosamines when combined with nitrites
- Fragrance - various untested and unlabeled compunds which can be irritants
12. Zud Heavy Duty Cleanser (Reckitt Beckniser)
Like Ajax (
Francis), Zud Heavy Duty Cleanser also has crystalline silica, which is known to cause skin irritation and can lead to cancer.
Remember to SHARE these surprising facts with your friends and family.
H/T: Healthy Food House