The notion that homeless people should “just get a job” is born out of a lack of understanding of what many of these individuals experience and live through each day. How do you impress at job interviews when your clothes are tattered and you haven't showered in over a week? How are you supposed to develop useful skills when you don't have a high school level of education because you ran away from an abusive household? The answers aren't always as simple as they appear to be, and this is the reality for too many people across the United States. Millions of Americans are homeless, with even more living below the poverty line. Sadly, it is estimated that 2.5 million children will experience homelessness at some point during this year. The following are anonymous recounts from people who have experienced homelessness at some point in their lives. No one should ever have to go through what these people have gone through, let alone children.
1. It's so sad that this person didn't reach out to someone who could have helped. Homelessness has many different faces that we may not always be able to detect.
2. People shouldn't have to resort to self-injury to have a warm place to stay for a night.
3. Sometimes you have to get creative when you have no idea where your next meal is going to come from.
4. Shelters aren't all they are cracked up to be. Many have high numbers of violent incidents and crime. Sometimes you have to resort to methods like this to have somewhere safe to stay during a storm.
5. Seeing something like that makes the accomplishment all the more meaningful.
6. That sense of accomplishment can feel so rewarding. However, not everyone has the means or ability to dig themselves out of a hole this big.
7. It's sad that even when you come out of homelessness, certain habits still follow you.
8. Even when you manage to get yourself out of homelessness, life on the other side is filled with its own problems. Some people can deal with it, but others can't. We're all different in our ability to handle stress, and some people just need a little help and support.
9. Too many of us are accustomed to having these luxuries as staples in our lives.
10. When you get accustomed to a certain way of living, it's hard to break out of old mindsets and habits.
11. It's wrong, but who could blame her for doing what she needed to do in order to survive?
12. Some things are so deeply ingrained in you that they stay with you forever.
13. You shouldn't have to go through homelessness to appreciate this message. Society can be so wasteful with food.
14. It's so good to hear that this individual has something to look forward to every night now.
15. It's definitely a good mindset to have, whether or not you have gone through homelessness.
16. It can be painfully hard to get accustomed to things that were once luxuries to you. Things like this are taken for granted by so many of us; imagine yourself in their shoes.
Via: A Plus