Millions of us use cars to get around on a daily basis. They are fast, convenient and somewhat reliable, but they have never been known for having an abundance of space. Even for larger vehicles like minivans, space can still come at a premium when you have to accommodate kids and a household’s worth of food.
The result of these everyday situations is that our vehicles are often not as tidy and organized as they should be. Cleaning it up may seem like a futile fight against the inevitable, but there are things you can do to stop it from happening. Here are some great ideas to help keep your car looking its best:
1. A shower caddy is a great way to store car fluids in the trunk without them going all over the place when you drive. You should always have some with you in case of an emergency.
2. Create a bag dispenser to carry plastic bags with you on the road. Spills always seem to happen in the car, and you're going to need bags to put soiled paper towels in.
3. Suction-cup shower organizers can help with storing little items. However, be sure to not obstruct your blind spot.
4. Place silicone cupcake wrappers in the cup holders of your car so that it is much easier to clean them up.
5. If you have kids riding in the back, keep their toys and snacks close to them by using a remote holder on the seat.
6. In for a long ride? Make it easier to enjoy meals on the road by using a simple plastic basket. Baskets like these are inexpensive, and they can be found at most dollar stores.
7. Protect your car's upholstery by using a DIY seat cover. Instructions on how to make one can be found here.
8. Keep your glove box organized by filing all your important documents into a mini binder.
9. Have you ever had to carry more drinks than you've had cup holders? Perhaps it's your turn to get coffee for everyone at lunch? Keep those drinks from spilling over by using a muffin pan and a laundry basket.
10. Don't occupy a cup holder just for an air freshener – use a hangable one instead. Learn how to make your own by following the instructions here.
11. You never know when disaster is going to strike. Always be prepared by keeping an emergency kit ready and on hand. Follow this link to learn how to make one.
12. Do your kids love to draw and color? Keep a drawing kit handy by repurposing an old DVD case. You can find the instructions for making one here.
13. Never deny your children the opportunity to rewatch Disney's “Frozen” for the millionth time by using this DIY iPad holder. Just follow these instructions to make your own.
14. Keeping your purse in the passenger seat always seems like a great idea, but it always seems to go rolling onto the floor. Keep it secured by fastening it to the seat with a scarf.
15. Use a trunk shelf to take advantage of the vertical space available in your trunk. Just be sure to not obstruct your view out of the rear.
16. It's never a good idea to let your phone distract you while driving, but what if you are using it to follow directions? Keep it in view with this simple rubber-band solution.
17. Shoe organizers are a great way to keep things stored behind your seats. With this in place, you'll never have to dig through bags of things again.
With all these great ideas, there really is no excuse for having a mess inside your vehicle.