We tend to think we know a lot about our bodies, how they work and what they're doing (in a general sense) at any given time. The fact of the matter is, however, that the human body is one seriously complex machine and we're still constantly uncovering new secrets about it.
With that in mind, here are 20 fun facts that you may not have known before. These certainly made me look at my body in a new light.
1. Everyone's tongue print is absolutely unique to them. Pretty impressive!
2. A single hair is strong enough to hold the weight of the average apple.
3. There are as many bacteria in your mouth (even if you're fastidiously clean) as there are people on the planet - probably more!
4. Nails that are soft and brittle with white moons are often indicative of an overactive thyroid.
5. The impulses in your brain travel at roughly 250 miles per hour!
6. Turns out, there are more than four different blood types - more like 29! The rarest subtype belongs to a small group of families in Japan.
7. Over the course of a day, your blood travels a total distance of roughly 12,000 miles.
8. The human body contains nearly 47 miles of nerves.
9. The average person takes around 20,000 breaths per day.
10. The human eye can distinguish up to 10 million colors, but our brains can't adequately process all of them.
11. Our ears grow throughout our lifetimes at the rate of nearly a quarter a millimeter per year.
12. The average heart beats 35 million times a year!
13. Every day, your body sheds nearly one million skin cells - that's nearly 4.5 pounds a year.
14. One square centimeter of skin contains roughly 100 pain sensors.
15. Men have fewer taste buds on their tongues than women.
16. The average person consumes about 35 tons of food in their life time.
17. Over the course of a lifetime, a human spends nearly five years blinking. Thankfully, we can do other things at the same time!
18. At any given second, there are 100,000 chemical reactions occurring in your brain.
19. Your sneezes travel at nearly 100 miles per hour.
20. It takes 43 muscles to cry, but only 17 to smile. So smile more!
Be sure to SHARE these facts with your family and friends.
H/T: Bright Side