A lot of thought and consideration go into purchasing a home, but have you ever wondered what went on there before your residency? Especially if you have an older house, it can be hard to really know if anything was left behind. It's probably not filled with spooky ghosts or monsters, but sometimes the truth can be stranger than fiction. For these 25 homeowners, the discoveries they made range from amazing to just plain creepy.
1. The owners of this house found out that one of the murals painted on the wall was done by artist Keith Haring. The mural was painted when the home was still part of the Visual School of Art in Manhattan.
2. Hidden in their kitchen wall, one couple found a 50-year-old safe. Inside they found a bottle of bourbon from 1960, a copy of "A Guide for the Perplexed" by E.F. Schumacher, and $51,080.
3. Hidden in the walls of another home, a brother and sister found WWI love letters written from a soldier. The letters were eventually returned to their recipient. It turns out that she married the soldier.
4. Two Chicago-prairie-styled stain glass windows were found hidden underneath a brick wall in one man's home.
5. A couple in Bel Air, California found a stash of vintage jewelry from Mexico hidden under their bathroom vanity.
6. An unsigned Van Gogh was discovered in the attic of a Norwegian home.
7. When a couple ripped out their carpet, they found a giant Monopoly board painted on the floor underneath.
8. A rusted piece of vintage cutlery was found in one person's ceiling. Nobody knows why it was there.
9. Someone found a peanut butter jar full of old corn in their walls. It was dated back to the mid '70s.
10. Homeowners found an entire servants' kitchen in the basement of their property. The home had been in their family for generations, but the door to this area was hidden behind old junk.
11. Construction workers found $500,000 in cash hidden underneath a house. This set off a very ugly dispute as to whether the homeowner or the worker should get to keep it.
12. A copy of the first issue of Action Comics was found after a wall was demolished. It was later sold at an auction for $175,000.
13. Josh Ferrin of Utah found $45,000 in his new home. Surprisingly, he managed to track down the owner and return it.
14. A figurine of a former Russian czar was found in a home. It was later sold at auction for $5 million.
15. Archaeological treasures were discovered under a home that were about 2,000 years old.
16. A treasure trove of coins and collectibles were found in a safe that belonged to an old woman.
17. One person discovered a secret room in the basement of his house. Inside, he found a box of ammunition, a defused grenade and thousands of pennies.
18. Look closely at the floor of this home. This family found a medieval well underneath the floor of their living room and decided to show it off with a glass covering.
19. In one Guatemalan family’s kitchen, the walls extended deep into the ground. Underneath, they found ancient Mayan murals.
20. This old briefcase was uncovered inside someone's house. It contained silver, jewelry, some old recordings, money from all over the world, and a very creepy note.
21. One family discovered this ancient chapel under their house. It's hard to say if they were more terrified or amazed by their findings.
22. Horrifyingly, thousands of snakes were found to be living in the walls of one Idaho home.
23. Below Nunnington Hall’s floorboards, over 4,000 game pieces were discovered.
24. A similar property contained a can of Coke that had been unopened for at least 23 years.
25. That wasn't all that was hidden in this house. The owner also found a newspaper from the day after President Kennedy was assassinated.