We all make mistakes in life, and it’s hard not to have regrets. However, once we’re nearing the end of our lives, we might have even more things that we regret we didn’t do. When you take a look back on your life, you’ll likely find moments when you wish you would have done something differently. Before you get there, try to take time think about what you could be doing differently right now. For inspiration, here are 36 things you should not do, at risk of regretting them later on.
1. Not going places when you had the opportunity to. As you get older, more people become dependent on you, making traveling more difficult.
2. Not knowing another language. If you’ve had the opportunity to study a language, don’t miss out on it.
3. Not leaving an unhealthy relationship. A relationship can be hard to get out of, but if it’s a bad one, you shouldn’t waste your time staying in it.
4. Not wearing sunscreen. Sun damage can cause plenty of wrinkles, as well as discoloration, so don’t go without it.
5. Not seeing your favorite musicians perform. You never know when their band could break up, so take the opportunity to see your favorite musicians when it’s available.
6. Not doing things because you’re afraid. Fear can cause us to miss out on many opportunities, but it doesn’t have to hold us back.
7. Not staying in shape. The more you age, the more you will see just how beneficial it is to stay fit.
8. Not defining yourself. Don’t be stuck conforming to societal or gender roles.
9. Not leaving a job you are unhappy with. It might be difficult to leave and find another employer, but don’t waste your time in a job that doesn’t make you happy.
10. Not pushing yourself to do better in school. Learning is one of the most important things in life, so take advantage of the education opportunities available to you.
11. Not being aware of what a beautiful person you are. There are so many things that define beauty, not just looks.
12. Not saying “I love you”. If you love someone, don’t be afraid to tell them.
13. Not taking the advice your parents gave you. They have much more experience than you do, so give their advice a chance.
14. Not realizing the world doesn’t revolve around you in your youth. There is so much more to the world than just yourself, so don’t waste your time being self-absorbed.
15. Not realizing your happiness comes from within. Don’t worry so much about what others think about you.
16. Not supporting your own dreams. Your dreams are important, too, so don’t focus on everyone else’s.
17. Not making decisions quickly enough. Don’t waste your time, take advantage of all the time you have.
18. Not letting go. It’s always better to forgive than to hold a grudge against someone.
19. Not sticking to your principles. Never be afraid to stand up for yourself, even if other people disagree with you.
20. Not spending more time volunteering. There are so many reasons to volunteer for others and for yourself.
21. Not taking care of your teeth. It might seem annoying to have to brush and floss so often, but you’ll be happy you did when you’re older.
22. Not talking with your grandparents enough. Your grandparents hold a wealth of knowledge, so make sure you spend time learning from them.
23. Not taking enough time away from work. Overworking will cause you to miss out on many of the wonderful moments in life.
24. Not knowing how to cook a great meal. Even if it’s only one meal, you’ll be happy you knew how to make it for your family and friends.
25. Not taking time to enjoy the moment. Focus on what’s happening around you, not on your phone.
26. Not finishing what you began. There are always opportunities to finish what you started, so take advantage of them.
27. Not learning a single party trick. Imagine how many memories you will have of impressing people with one awesome trick.
28. Not living outside of expectations. Don’t do things just because that’s what you’re expected to do.
29. Not allowing friendships to run the course they’re meant to. Every friendship isn’t meant to last a lifetime.
30. Not spending more time with your kids. Your children will provide so much joy in your life, so take advantage of all of the time you have with them.
31. Not expanding your network. Your career will greatly benefit by developing your contacts.
32. Not freeing yourself from worry. Worrying a lot is fruitless, especially when you’re worrying about things that you can’t even change.
33. Not freeing your life from drama. Drama can build up very easily, but it’s better to avoid it.
34. Not spending more time with those you love. It’s important to spend as much time as we can with our loved ones, as they are one of the most important things in our lives, after all.
35. Not having a performance in front of other people. It might be intimidating at first, but you might regret it if you never take the chance to have this experience.
36. Not being thankful for all you have. Remember, it’s important to be grateful for all that you have, as it will greatly improve how you look at your life.
There is always time to make improvements in your life. So, remember to take those opportunities and live a more fulfilling life right now.