You are probably already familiar with baking soda's many uses around the home. It has so many different applications, it’s kind of like duct tape for the kitchen.
The powers of baking soda go well beyond its famous ability to freshen the air in your fridge. It also has many uses with regards to health and beauty. Some studies have even suggested that it is effective in the fight against both cancer and the humble cold. Other baking soda fans trumpet its virtues in the realms of oral health and hair care.
It’s hard to believe that something so common could be utilized to treat cancer, but several doctors support its use. Among others, Dr. Mark Sircus confirms its strengths in his book Sodium Bicarbonate. That's a lot of power in such a tiny little box!
You don’t have to suffer from an illness as serious as cancer to find baking soda useful, however. Here are a few reasons why you should always have a box of it around for emergencies.
- has been shown to be effective in the removal of plaque from teeth.
- contains antipruritic (anti-itching) properties, which makes it useful for treating rashes and bug bites.
- can ease cold symptoms.
- lowers the risk and severity of diarrhea.
- can lower the risk of drug intoxication.
- inhibits the formation of kidney stones, bladder infections, and hyperkalemia.
But that’s not all this natural wonder can accomplish! Baking soda can make a fantastic acid reflux remedy when administered correctly.
All you need is:
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 8oz of water
In a large cup, mix the baking soda and vinegar (or lemon juice) until it stops fizzing. Combine the mixture with water and stir.
It is important that you drink the solution all at once to increase its effectiveness. This will allow it to create an alkaline environment in your body, reducing acid reflux and neutralizing pH imbalance.
Here are several other folk remedies involving baking soda that people have been swearing by for decades:
- Gargle baking soda with water to freshen the breath.
- Apply with water to canker sores to speed healing.
- Add to toothpaste while brushing to whiten teeth.
- Mix with water and drink to relieve muscle soreness.
- Scrub under finger-and-toenails to kill fungus and clean out dirt.
- Wash your face with a solution of water and baking soda to exfoliate the skin.
- Combine with peppermint oil, salt, and warm water to create a footbath. This will relieve both soreness and bad odor.
If you want to try your hand at some baking soda wizardry, here are a few important tips to remember:
- Always dissolve baking soda before you drink it. Never try to consume it in powder form.
- Using baking soda to treat medical issues can occasionally alter the intended effects of other medications. Always confer with your doctor before you attempt a baking soda treatment.
- Consuming baking soda can be hazardous to the health of pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children under the age of five.
- Baking-soda treatments should not be used by those who are on low-sodium diets as it may affect your ability to retain important vitamins and minerals.
- Never pursue a baking soda treatment for longer than 14 days without consulting a physician.
Be sure to SHARE these great home remedies with your friends and family.
H/T: Healthy Food House