April Fools’ Day happens each year on the first of April, and is customarily a day meant to play harmless pranks on those around you. The origins of the celebration are said to date back all the way to the 1300s, with influences from the Roman festival of Hilaria, the festival of Holi in India, and the Medieval celebration of the Feast of Fools. Every generation of various cultures loves a good, innocent prank. Here are some safe and hilarious ones that you can play on your kids, family and close friends.
1. Fake milk spilled all over your kid’s laptop.
2. A “grilled cheese sandwich” that is actually pound cake and colored icing.
3. Fake ice cream that’s really mashed potatoes and gravy.
4. Print out this parking ticket and put it on your friend’s car.
5. Tell your family that you baked “Brown-E’s.”
6. Make your kids have a strange ride to school.
7. Fill your kid’s shoes with toilet paper, then slyly remark that they must have grown overnight.
8. Make some frozen cereal.
9. Make a ketchup bottle squirt out red string.
10. Sew your kid’s socks closed.
11. Fake chocolate chip cookies made out of mashed potatoes and beans.
12. Put a “for sale” sign in front of your house.
13. Give your kids a healthy lollipop.
14. Tell your kid the principal called about them.
15. Take a photo of a family member “floating,” then show it to your kid and tell them that people are learning to fly.
16. Use tape to cover the TV remote’s infrared blaster.
17. Block off your kid’s shampoo bottle.
18. Make this fake “fried egg” by using a canned peach halve and some yogurt.
19. Put a plastic animal in the mailbox.
20. Put a few drops of food coloring in your kid’s bowl of cereal. When they pour milk over it, their breakfast will start to look really strange.
21. Take some dye pellets and put them under your faucet cap.
22. Make a “chicken pot pie” with pudding and candy.
23. Switch the bags between your kid’s boxes of cereal.
24. Change all the setting of your kid’s trackpad or mouse so that up is down and left is right.
25. Set a screenshot of your kid’s favorite iPad app as full screen image and hand it to them.
26. “Hide” some fake money in a book.
27. Pack an interesting lunch.
28. Make your kids some juice that is really Jell-O.
29. Put some gelatin into your kid’s glass of milk.
30. Take some clear nail polish and cover a bar of soap with it.
31. Switch your kids into different beds while they are sleeping.
32. Wear a ridiculous wig when you pick up your kids from school.
33. Give your kids these doughnut seeds.
34. Tell your family that you bought them all iPads.
35. Or tell someone that you bought them an iPhone.
36. Replace the contents of Cheetos bags with baby carrots.
37. Make some fake candied apples with onions.
38. Use superglue to attach a couple of coins to the ground outside.
39. Make this surprise cake.