Just what is Epsom salt? Should you salt your fries with it? How about melt ice on the sidewalk? You could do that, but that's not what Epsom salt is best at. Besides, it's a laxative, so we wouldn't recommend eating it. Epsom salt has unique properties from other kinds of salt. In fact, it's not really a salt at all. It was named after a bitter saline spring discovered in the town of Epsom in Surrey, England. Epsom salt is actually a compound consisting of magnesium and sulfate. It absorbs readily through the skin which is why it's commonly used in baths. Those baths help with muscle and nerve function, nutrient absorption, toxin evacuation, inflammation, and even artery hardening. The fact that you get a nice bath is just the cherry on top.
But there are more uses for Epsom salt besides relaxing baths. You'll be shocked out how versatile this compound is. Check out these awesome Epson salt tips ...
1. Hair cleaner: Hair feeling dirty? A little Epsom salt in your shampoo helps break up the oils. Just rinse out your hair with a little water afterwards.
2. Add volume and tame frizzy hair: Mix 1 part Epsom salt with 1 part conditioner in a pan on the stove. Gently heat the mixture and then massage into your hair. Working from root to tip, work the mixture through your hair. Give it 20 minutes and then rinse it out.
3. Face wash: Mixing Epson salt with liquid soap or face cream gives you a gentle, exfoliating face wash. Rub it on your face and then rinse as usual.
4. Soft lips: Epsom salt mixed with petroleum jelly makes for a great lip balm.
5. Foot scrub: Get rid of dry, cracked feet. Mixing Epson salt with a little olive oil, castile soap, and essential oils makes a scrub that will give you smooth feet in no time.
6. Pain reliever: Suffering from a headache? An Epson salt bath can relieve tension in the muscles and help relieve headaches.
7. Hangover cure: A teaspoon of Epsom salt mixed with water can get rid of toxins in the body. Make sure to flush out your system with lots of fresh water afterwards.
8. Constipation: As we mentioned above, Epsom salt is a laxative. Usually, that's bad. But sometimes, it's just what you need.
9. Get rid of bruises: You can help bruises fade away by applying a mixture of two tablespoons Epsom salt with a little water.
10. Sleep better: Do you suffer from anxiety? Have trouble sleeping? An Epsom salt bath can help loosen up muscles for a better night of sleep.
11. Cure muscle pains: Epsom salt baths are well known to help relieve muscle pains and encourage recovery.
12. Get rid of splinters: Soak a splinter in an Epson salt bath. It may be necessary do it several times, but eventually it will help draw out the splinter.
13. Clean your washing machine: Run a regular cycle in your washing machine, but add hot water and Epsom salt. The compound acts as an abrasive, removing buildup from the machine.
14. Clean your bathroom: Mixing some Epsom salt with dish soap makes for a more intense cleaning agent. It's great for scrubbing grout or any other frustrating dirty spots.
15. Fertilize your plants: A tablespoon of Epsom salt added to soil can help increase the harvest of fruit. It even makes the fruit sweeter.
16. Fortify your plants: 2 tablespoons of Epson salt a month added to soil will prevent your plants from magnesium deficiency.
17. Control garden pests: Epsom salt works a lot like diatomaceous earth. Spread a little around plants to keep pests like slugs away.
18. Brilliant roses: Sprinkle some Epson salt when planting your flowers. Add some again when they start to bloom. Your plants will produce larger flowers and brighter colors.
19. Weed control: Take a gallon of vinegar and add a few cups of Epsom salt and dish detergent. Place it into a spray bottle and give it a shake. Spray the mixture liberally on any plant you want gone.
20. Greener grass: 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt mixed with a gallon of water makes for a great grass fortifier.
Amazing. Did you know Epsom salt was capable of so many things? It's so convenient because it's cheap and available just about anywhere. What's your favorite way to use Epsom salt?
Please SHARE this with your family and friends.