Did you believe in unicorns as a kid? They just make sense - if you think about it, a unicorn seems way more probable than a giraffe or a zebra. But these nine incredible animals defy all logic with their very existence. Check out these rare animals that look like they couldn't possibly be real.
1. The okapi, a sort of horse/zebra/giraffe blend from the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
2. The nearly extinct saiga antelope has a proboscis-like mouth, like an elephant or anteater, that functions as a filtration system.
3. Narwhals, the unicorns of the sea. (Except, you know, real.)
4. The streaked tenrec is the only known creature that uses vibrations from its quills to communicate. It's called stridulation and it happens at such a high pitch that it's outside the frequency their predators are capable of hearing.
5. The male superb bird of paradise has a blue breast shield and a cape-like nape of feathers he'll spread out in a disc to attract a mate.
6. The thorny devil not only has a killer name, but can change color with the weather. And in case the devil's spotted in the details, thick spikes protect it from predators.
7. Vampire deer. It's a deer with fangs. Really.
8. Glaucus atlanticus gets its name from the lost city of Atlantis. It's an upside-down floating slug that feeds on Portugese man-of-war.
9. If you were a red uakari, having a red face wouldn't be an embarrassment; these New World monkeys look for the reddest faces for the most attractive mates.
Credit: The Dodo