When it comes to an all-purpose cleaning tool, you can't really do much better than the Magic Eraser. Just about everything under the sun can be cleaned by these talented, sponge-like squares. The only downside, however, is that they're not exactly cheap.
So, what's a slightly cash-strapped cleaning aficionado to do? Well, unless you're some kind of couponing wizard, the next best alternative is to make your own! Not only is it possible to do, it's also a lot easier and significantly less expensive than you'd imagine. All you need is the right cleaning mix and melamine sponges. That last part is key, by the way - melamine sponges have a unique composition that feels soft, but is actually abrasive like a fine sandpaper that gets deeper into most stains than the average sponge/cloth.
Store-bought magic erasers are just a melamine sponge saturated with cleaning material. Once you know this, you can buy these special sponges for cheap/in bulk from retailers like Amazon. Here's how to do it:
- Melamine sponge(s)
- Hot water - 1 cup per sponge
- Baking soda - 1 tablespoon per sponge
- Borax - 1 teaspoon per sponge
- Bowl/bucket (depending on number of sponges)
- Fill the bowl/bucket with one cup of hot water per sponge.
- Add in the baking soda and Borax - in proportion to the number of sponges - and stir until everything is fully dissolved.
- Add the sponges to the mixture and let them soak until fully saturated.
- Squeeze out any excess liquid and you're ready to go!
A key difference between these sponges and the store-bought ones is that the DIY versions don't have the cleaning solution dried into the sponge, ready to be activated by water, so you'll have to add the cleanser to it when you're actually ready to clean. Still, considering how much you'll save, it's a pretty easy trade-off.
Make several at a time and get the whole family cleaning up, so the job is done faster! Check out the video below to find out more. Just wait until you see the side-by-side comparison!
H/T: Tip Hero