How Safe Is It To Eat Moldy Bread?

So you've got a sandwich in mind and you pull out your ingredients. Some turkey, a little mayo, pepper jack cheese, maybe some mustard... Then you go to grab your bread and your heart sinks.

There, staring at your back in the fact is a small little dot of bluish mold. "Oh, come on!," you think. Then, a thought starts brewing. Do you really need to be defeated by this tiny little culture of mold? Surely, it can't be that bad for you to just rip off the sucker and head off to sandwich town.

Wrong. The USDA now says that loaves of bread need to be chucked as soon as you see mold. Apparently, mold has tiny, roots that move through the entire loaf. If ingested, it can cause allergy and breathing problems. Some molds can even contribute to cancer.

An educator with the United States Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service, Marianne H. Gravely, says that not all hope is lost. You can still cut off a piece and safely have your delicious sammy, but make sure it's a lot bigger than you'd expect to need to do. She says, "cut away a big section surrounding the mold with a healthy margin around it to make sure you got all of it.”

Still, there's no guarantee that you'll all of the mold in the part you tossed, so if you want to play it safe, chuck it. Also, wrap it up before doing so; the mold can produce airborne toxins. Then, wash and sanitize the area where the bread was to keep any bacteria from spreading.

Be sure to SHARE this with your friends and family!

H/T: Tip Hero

Trending Today: