Hey, I hope you don’t mind me saying, but you have an amazing body!
That’s not a cheesy pickup line though, I really mean your body is a marvel of nature. It’s something we take for granted everyday, but the human body is a remarkably complex machine. It’s capable of things that are absolutely astounding to think about. So the next time you want to curse your body, cut yourself a little slack – you’re amazing.
1. The muscles we use to focus our eyes move close to 100,000 times every day. It’d take a 50-mile walk to give your legs the same workout.
2. There are enough bacteria in your belly button to form an ecosystem the size of an entire rainforest.
3. The average person produces nearly 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime: that’s enough to fill up two swimming pools. Gross.
4. The human nose can accurately remember close to 50,000 different smells.
5. A red blood cell can travel through your entire body in just 20 seconds... yet I’m always feeling sluggish. Go figure.
6. The human eye is so sensitive to light that, if the Earth was flat, we could see a candle from almost 30 miles away.
7. Mushrooms and fungi may look alien, but roughly 90% of our cells originate from fungi and bacteria.
8. We’re all actually super strong, our brain just limits the output our muscles provide to protect them from harming themselves. During an adrenaline rush, however, these limits are removed. This is what enables mothers to lift cars off of their babies and hikers to lift giant boulders off of themselves.
9. The average adult is made up of 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (7 octillion) atoms. That’s a lot.
10. The human eye is an extremely sophisticated optical device. It can can distinguish about 10 million different colors, and is capable of processing more information than any telescope could.
11. Baby, you were born to run. We’re the best long distance runners on the planet, which was once very useful to chase prey until it died of exhaustion.
12. Our bodies are bioluminscent, that is, they glow slightly in the dark. Unfortunately, the light emitted is far, far too weak to be detected by human eyes.
13. As a baby, you had 60 more bones than you do as an adult.
14. Love is a drug. When you’re in love, the brain releases the same neurotransmitters and hormones that would be released if you took amphetamines.
15. We’re all bananas. Really though, around 50% of our DNA is shared with bananas. I’m 50% bananas, and 100% awesome.
16. Our brains produce enough electrical current to power a light bulb. Is this why having a great idea in cartoons is shown as a light bulb?
17. Roughly 10% of your life will be spent with your eyes closed from blinking.
18. The strongest muscle in the human body is the masseter, a muscle that works the jaw.
19. If it were a computer, the human brain could perform 38 thousand-trillion operations per second! The world’s most powerful supercomputer, BlueGene, can only do about .002% of that.
20. Every second, your body produces 25 million new cells. At that rate, it takes just 13 seconds to produce more cells than the entire population of the United States.
21. Our brains are capable of reading up to 1,000 words per minute.
22. In the average lifetime, we will shed about 40 pounds worth of skin. I need to fit into something, though... any way I could just drop all that weight by Friday?
So there you have it: the human body is awesome! Remember, your body is a temple. Take care of it and it will take care of you.