Wartime is always hard for everyone, from soldiers on the front line to the women and children back home. Amid the fear and sadness, wars also brought feelings of longing, hope, and other emotions. Something as simple as a goodbye kiss meant so much more during those times.
If you've ever shared a tearful farewell or had a joyous reunion with a loved one, just try imagining going through that during wartime. Your goodbye could be the very last one that you share with your significant other. Even today, courageous soldiers go through the same heart-wrenching exchange with their loved ones. No matter what has changed throughout history, these touching, bittersweet moments have remained much the same. Below are vintage photos of soldiers and their lovers sharing a last kiss or embrace before heading off to war. The powerful images are sure to pull on your heartstrings.
1. Soldiers help their friend steal one last kiss before heading off to the Korean War on September 6, 1950.
2. American soldiers saying goodbye to their lovers before being deployed to Egypt, 1963.
3. V-J Day in Times Square, New York, 1945. An overjoyed sailor kisses a nurse on the streets upon hearing that World War II had just ended.
4. A woman kisses her lover goodbye at the train station in Connecticut, 1945.
5. A heartbreaking farewell to the troops at Penn Station, New York in April 1943.
6. The joyous reunion of a woman and a British soldier in London, 1940. She greets him with a kiss as he returns home during World War II.
7. World War II veteran Ralph Neppel receives an affectionate kiss from his fiancée, Jean Moore, in 1945.
8. Soldiers saying goodbye to their lovers at the train station before heading off to fight in World War II.
9. An ecstatic woman jumps into the arms of a soldier returning home from the war in the 1940s.
10. An American soldier embracing his English lover in Hyde Park, 1945.
11. Soldiers on a train seize one last kiss from their lovers as they depart for Egypt in 1935.
12. A tearful goodbye between a soldier and his loved one as he prepares to leave Penn Station, April 1943.
13. Guests enjoy coffee and conversation at the Ante-Bellum Mansion. This party was held in honor of the cadets from the local army flying school in Mississippi, 1943.
14. English soldiers enjoy a few more moments with their wives before heading off to Egypt, 1937.
15. An English ATS member sharing a passionate kiss with an Air Force sergeant under a tree, 1945.
Don't forget to SHARE these powerful images with your friends and family.
H/T: Bored Panda